Kate Macfarlane is a curator and writer.
Based in London who began her career in the public visual arts sector at Riverside Studios, London, in 1984 where she curated exhibitions of, amongst others, Bethan Huws, Tim Rollins + K.O.S and Ilya Kabakov. She co-founded Drawing Room in 2000 and since that time has co-devised the organisation’s vision and programme.
Recent curatorial projects:
• Double-take: Drawing and photography: Dove Allouche, Josh Brand, Tacita Dean, Margarita Gluzberg, Matt Saunders, Thomas Zummer (Drawing Room)
• Line: Athanasios Argiansas; Ceal Floyer; Monika Grzymala; Victoria Haven; Susan Hiller; Sol LeWitt; Richard Long; Tom Marioni; Jonathan Monk; Julian Opie; Florian Pumhosl; Fred Sandback; Maximilian Schubert; Jorinde Voigt, Kate Yoland. (Lisson Gallery, London)
• Contemporary Drawings: Charles Avery, Phyllida Barlow, Aleana Egan, Antony Gormley, Thomas Houseago, Rachel Howard, Chantal Joffe , Thomas Kiesewetter, Nick Mauss, Daniel Silver, Rachel Whiteread. (Kettle’s Yard, Cambridge, UK)
• Aleksandra Mir: Drawing Room (Drawing Room)
• The Nakeds: David Austen, Fiona Banner, Joseph Beuys, Louise Bourgeois, George Condo, Enrico David, Marlene Dumas, Tracey Emin, Leon Golub, Stewart Helm, Chantal Joffe, Maria Lassnig, Paul McCarthy, Chris Ofili, Carol Rama, Egon Schiele, Nancy Spero, Georgina Starr, Alina Szapocznikow, Rosemarie Trockel, Nicola Tyson, Andy Warhol and Franz West (curated with artist David Austen and art historian Gemma Blackshaw). Drawing Room and De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill-on-Sea, UK)
• Marking Language: Pavel Büchler, Johanna Calle, Annabel Daou, Matias Faldbakken, Karl Holmqvist, Bernardo Ortiz, Shahzia Sikander (Drawing Room; a collaboration with Drawing Center, New York)
• DRAWING:SCULPTURE: Sara Barker, Anna Barriball, Alice Channer, Aleana Egan, Knut Henrik Henriksen, Bojan Šarcevic, Dan Shaw-Town (Leeds Art Gallery, Leeds, UK & Drawing Room)
• Kate Davis: Not Just the Perfect Moments (Drawing Room)
• Paul Sietsema (Drawing Room)
• Aleana Egan: At Intervals, while turning (Drawing Room)
• Best Laid Plans: Marie Lund, Trenton Doyle Hancock, Janice Kerbel, Marjetica Potrc, Katya Sander, Ultra-red (curated with Cylena Simonds) (Drawing Room)
• Melanie Jackson (The Urpflanze, Part 1) (Drawing Room)
• Shudder: Edwina Ashton, Barry Doupé, Ann Course, Avish Khebrehzadeh, Matt Mullican, Raymond Pettibon, Naoyuki Tsuji and Markus Vater. (Drawing Room)
• Cornelius Cardew: Play for Today (curated with Grant Watson) (Drawing Room)
• THE END OF THE LINE: Attitudes in Drawing (A Hayward Touring exhibition in collaboration with mima, Middlesbrough and The Bluecoat, Liverpool, UK)
• Monika Grzymala (Drawing Room, mima, Middlesbrough; Fruitmarket, Edinburgh; The Bluecoat, Liverpool; Bristol Museum, all UK)
Writing and editorial projects include: ‘Chromosome Damage: Daniel Guzmán’ (London: Drawing Room, 2015); ‘The Nakeds’ (London: Drawing Room, 2014); ‘Abstract Drawing curated by Richard Deacon’ (London: Ridinghouse, 2014); ‘Marking Language’ in Drawing Time, Reading Time / Marking Language’, (New York & London, Drawing Center & Drawing Room, 2013); Paul Sietsema (London: Drawing Room, 2012); Graphology: Drawing from Automatism to Automation’ (Ghent: ARA.MER, Antwerp: M HKA, London: Drawing Room, 2012); ‘David Musgrave: Faulty Images’, (London: Tate Papers, Issue 15, 2011); ‘Drawing Projects: An Exploration of the Language of Drawing’, Jack Southern & Mick Maslen (eds.) (London: Black Dog Publishing, 2011); ‘Drawing off the page’, in A. Lammert et al (eds.), Räume der Zeichhnung (Berlin: Akademie der Künste, 2007); ‘Investigating the Status of Drawing’, ‘The Drawing Book’, Tania Kovats (ed.), (London: Black Dog Publishing, 2005); ‘Alexander Roob’, in ‘Diving Trips – Drawing as Reportage’ (Düsseldorf: Kunstverein Hannover & Kunsthalle, 2005).